Although you can’t use the Birchwood Casey Kit as shown in the Carbon Steel Black Oxide Tutorial, there is a product that produces a similar effect on a stainless steel putter. Caswell’s Stainless Steel Blackener is a great finish to apply to a Scotty Cameron putter, or any other modern day putter.
Preliminary Steps-Before doing this finish, you must:
- Remove the nicks and dings
- Beadblast with 80-120 grit glass beads
- Clean with dish soap and water
- Rinse with distilled water (you won’t get a smooth finish if you rinse with regular water)
- Caswell’s Stainless Steel Blackener
- Caswell’s Sealer (optional- sorry, they don’t sell the 4 oz container anymore)
- Open Top Plastic Container (x2)
- Muriatic Acid
- Chemical Protective Gloves
- Distilled Water
Beadblast the club before you apply the sealer, but after you have applied the SS Blackener.
Got some sweet refinishing photos? Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information to be featured in the community refinishing gallery.
- Any attribution you would like (i.e. Instagram Handle)
- Your first name
- A link to your photo album (i.e. Google Photos, Dropbox)
- (Optional) Descriptions of each photo (how you did it)
Want to submit your own tutorial? Please see my tutorial submission guidelines.