Last Updated: Oct 31, 2023

Golf Terms: What is a "Gimme"?

Also known as "in the leather", this golf term is used in recreational golf where your playing partner "gives you a freebie" and you don't have to putt.

Written By: Zach Gollwitzer

Posted in: Golf Terms

Featured Image

Term Overview

A brief overview of the term including definition, usage, origins, helpful visuals.


Also known as "in the leather", this golf term is used in recreational golf where your playing partner "gives you the putt". When it is "in the leather", that refers to the distance between your ball and the hole being within the leather of your putter grip. In other words, since it's a short putt (typically less than 3 feet), your playing partner assumes you will make it, so you don't have to putt it. In professional and competitive golf, there is no such thing as a gimme. No matter how short the putt, you have to hit it.

how it's used in a sentence

C'mon, that putt is less than a foot, it's a gimme!

Related Terms

Golf Terms: Aerated Greens cover image


Golf Terms: Aerated Greens

Aeration is the process of "punching" little holes in putting greens to help them stay healthy and grow.

Golf Course Terms: In the "Rough" cover image


Golf Course Terms: In the "Rough"

The rough describes the longer grass that golfers must hit out of if they miss the fairway and hit their shot off-target.

Golf Terms: Pot Bunker cover image

Pot Bunker

Golf Terms: Pot Bunker

A special type of bunker that is commonly found on links golf courses and is characterized by its steep "walls" that are tough to hit over.

Golf Terms: Amateur Golfer cover image

Amateur Golfer

Golf Terms: Amateur Golfer

An amateur golfer is anyone who does not earn money from competing in golf tournaments.

Golf Terms: Links Courses cover image

Links Courses

Golf Terms: Links Courses

Courses located near coastlines, featuring natural dunes, sandy soil, and often exposed to the elements. They offer open layouts and firm turf.

Golf Terms: Headcover cover image


Golf Terms: Headcover

A headcover is a "glove" made of soft material that you put over your golf clubs to keep them clean and protected from various weather conditions.

Golf Slang: "Shot my age" cover image

Shot my age

Golf Slang: "Shot my age"

You may hear older golfers say, "I'm just trying to shoot my age today". This is generally a good thing.

Golf Terms: What is a Divot? cover image


Golf Terms: What is a Divot?

A divot is the mark made on the fairway or tee box when you hit a full golf shot and the club displaces grass behind the ball.

Golf Terms: Green in Regulation (GIR) cover image


Golf Terms: Green in Regulation (GIR)

When you hit a "green in regulation", this means you landed your ball on the putting surface in the designated number of strokes based on the par.

The Ultimate Golf Terms Glossary

Learn all the golf terms and lingo with my comprehensive golf terms glossary

See all terms