The Orange Whip
In this short review, I'll show you what the Orange Whip Trainer is all about, 3 things it will help you with, and how to use it effectivelyRead full review
Pros and Cons
- Great for speed training
- Great for tempo training
- Great warmup tool
- A bit expensive
- I'm not a huge fan of the grip (too tacky for me)
All GolfersMy favorite feature:
It fits in your bag easily and is super handy for warming up before a round. You can also use it indoors for speed training during winter!
Table of Contents
Full Review: The Orange Whip
The Orange Whip Swing Trainer is a popular golf training aid designed to improve a golfer's swing rhythm, balance, and overall swing mechanics. Here's a breakdown of its key features and benefits:
- Design: It typically features a flexible shaft, a weighted orange ball at one end, and a grip that mimics a golf club. This unique design allows for a rhythmic swinging motion.
- Flexibility: The flexibility of the shaft encourages a smooth, flowing swing. This helps in developing a natural tempo and transition in the golf swing.
- Weighted Head: The weighted head provides feedback on the swing path and helps in building golf-specific muscles. It is instrumental in improving the golfer's balance and coordination.
- Versatility: Suitable for golfers of all skill levels, the Orange Whip can be used for warm-up exercises, strength training, and improving swing dynamics.
- Portable: Its compact size makes it convenient for golfers to carry in their golf bag and use anywhere – at home, in the office, or at the practice range.
Incorporating the Orange Whip into a regular training routine can significantly aid in achieving a more efficient, powerful, and consistent golf swing.
- Frequent Training: Regular practice with the Orange Whip can significantly enhance swing speed, crucial for power in your game.
- Strength and Flexibility: The weighted head builds muscles specific to golf, contributing to faster swing speeds and longer drives.
- Feedback Mechanism: Its flexible shaft provides immediate feedback, allowing for adjustments that improve swing power and efficiency.
- Natural Rhythm: The Orange Whip fosters a smooth, balanced swing, essential for maintaining a good tempo.
- Consistency: It aids in developing a consistent swing tempo, leading to a more reliable and repeatable performance.
- Transition and Timing: The device is especially beneficial in smoothing the transition from backswing to downswing, crucial for tempo maintenance. You literally cannot swing this thing with bad tempo!
This last one is probably my most common use of the Orange Whip. I always take 10-20 swings with it before taking my first swing on the range or before that first tee shot if I didn't have a chance to warm up.
I recommend starting out with slow swings and gradually working your way up until you're swing at 100%.
This will really help loosen up those muscles. You can also pair it with my warmup routine below:
Well... In my opinion, $120 is a bit expensive for this thing. Knockoffs like the Yes4All Swing Trainer retail for around $35, less than half the price!
Furthermore, for this price, I would have expected a higher-quality grip. I prefer cord grips like the Golf Pride Multicompounds, so this grip below was a bit too "tacky" for me. That said, you'll never be hitting shots with this club, so I guess the grip doesn't matter all that much—just a nitpick on my part.
Yes, I think it does, but with a caveat—you've got to put in the work.
If you take 100 hard swings with this thing every single day, I guarantee your driving distance will improve by at least 5-10 yards, or even more.
I believe this because with this trainer, you're not just working on speed; you're working on speed and timing/tempo.
All that said, as I mentioned above, I think you'll find that your favorite part about this training aid is how easy it makes your warmups. It's a great addition to any bag!
Frequently Asked Questions
The standard size is 47", which is slightly longer than most drivers. It also comes in the compact size (35.5"), Midsize (43.5"), and Junior size (38")
The total weight of the orange whip is 1.8 pounds. You will feel most of the weight at the end of the club, which helps improve tempo.
Yes! It is ambidextrous.
The Orange Whip retails for around $120 on Amazon.